Monday, October 23, 2006

But Until That Day Comes

I’m sitting at my desk, drinking ice tea and listening to Howard Shore’s score for Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring. Last year about this time I spend $50 on the special edition soundtrack that contained the complete recordings for the extended edition of first film in Peter Jackson’s now legendary trilogy. I know some of you are thinking, “Fifty bucks! Are you crazy?!” I guess that depends. If you mean am I one of those completely obsessed fans who went to the movie’s premiere wearing pointy ears and a cape, no, I am not.  I did enjoy the movies though.

Anyway, this is what I spend most of my days doing, nothing. I sit around all day listening to music, reading and watching film and television that engages the mind. I have no job and am too lazy to put any real effort into doing school work. Sometimes I stare out of my bedroom window and wish I could just fly off into the distance and circle the sky until time unwound and I’d exist not more.

I like being outside. I use to take my dog, Spark, for walks in the woods behind my house before they were cleared for more pre-fab houses and stick homes like my own. We’d go out for hours at a time. Sparky is a half lab – half cocker spaniel mix so he’s really frisky. When he was a puppy he was solid black, save his white chest and paws that made it look like he threw sparks when he ran, hints the name Sparky. He comes when I call, so I never used a leash. I’d take him deep in the woods until we’d come across this expanse of open rolling hills. He’d run as fast as his short legs would take him chasing rabbits and birds and other petrified woodland forest creatures who dared the open fields. I wouldn’t see him for hours. Sometimes I’d lie down amid the wildflowers and sleep. I remember having this dream one time that I was playing paintball with some friends out there. The hills crossed in and out of each other making it a perfect sight for paint ball. Most of the time I went out there carring my CD player with me. I’d listen to movie scores mostly. Braveheart, Gladiator and The Legend of Bagger Vance were some of my favorites around that time. Sometimes I’d bring along some Jars of Clay or Caedmon’s Call, just to make it a religious experience. After a while I’d call out for Spark (I can’t whistle. I know, what a shame). A few minutes later I’d see a black blob lunge from the tall grass just to disappear again. I’d head back towards the house and eventually Spark would catch up with me. I’d glance down at him as if to say, “Where have you been?” He’d give me a knowing look. My guess is Sparky had a lady friend somewhere beyond the horizon. Like I said, he’s a little frisky.

The other day an older friend and mentor told me I act like I’m retired and that sooner than later I’m going to have to get off my rear and figure out what to do with my life. He’s right, but until that day comes I’m going to enjoy this pre-retirement hiatus from the real world and wonder around inside my head, among my thoughts of the peaceful outdoors and contemplative musical adventures.

No comments: